What's new

[Guide] Optimize Win7/10 for Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESiSTANT

Staff member
Administrator

Hello infinitians,
I've created simple but effective guide on how to optimize your Windows 7 for gaming, easy and fast:

1. Stop unnecessary services
Start > write "run" > write "msconfig" > Go to Services and then disable following services:

adobe Flash Player update Service

application layer gateway service

application identity

activex installer

bitlocker drive encryptions service (I recommended to disable it, if you don't really use to encrypt your USB/Disks)

background intelligent transfer

bluetooth support service

certificate propagation

COM+ System application

homegroup listener

homegroup provider

windows backup

adapative brightness

Superfetch - increases fps in some games.

Prefetch - increases fps in some games.

credetial manager

windows process activation service

diagnostic system host

problem reports and solutions control panel support

windows error reporting service

windows media player

network sharing service

parental controls

*After disabling those services you need to click Apply and then restart your computer.

2. Optimize for best performance
Start > right click on Computer > > Properties> Advanced System settings > Advanced > Performance > Adjust for best performance > Apply > OK.

3. Update your video drivers frequently
Start > write "dxdiag" > Video (look at your video card model under Device and driver version date) > GO to your video card manufacturer site, browse for your video card model and download the latest drivers.

If you have anything unclear in this guide just drop an reply and I will make it clear.

You may proceed to the following guides then:

Have fun in InfinityMU!

RESiSTANT

Staff member
Administrator

I am here to provide you another compilation of optimizations and fixes for windows 7/10 for InfinityMU and not only... overall your computer and internet will be more responsive and FAST! Faster potting is noticeable!

1. Disable Windows Defender. **Need windows 10 PRO**

Run, gpedit.msc then > Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender> Turn off Windows Defender> Enabled

This app takes up so much cpu cycles and causes a problem with safe questionable files downloaded. If you're into heavy gaming and want the best performance, disable this. If you're new to the internet and download content which may possibly have a virus then leave it on but it won't do any good. Just get Kaspersky or NOD32 anti virus instead.

2. Disable SmartScreen Filter

Use Search and type smartscreen, and select change smartscreen settings (Desktop App). Select Change windows smartscreen settings, then don't do anything.

3. Keyboard Shift Sticky keys

In Ease of Access in Control, select change how your keyboard works,

Select Set up Sticky Keys> Untick "turn on sticky keys when SHIFT is pressed five times"

Select Set up Filter Keys > untick "Turn on Filter Keys when right SHIFT is pressed for 8 seconds"

4. Disable Prefetch and Superfetch for no random hitching in pc games including InfinityMU.

Search for Services.msc (or Services DESKTOP APP) and go into it and find Superfetch. Startup type is Disabled and stop the service.

Search for regedit (run command) and go in,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SYSTEM>CurrentcontrolSet>Control>SessionManager>Memory Management>PrefetchParameters>

Enable Prefetcher>0
Superfetch> 0 (it shouldnt be here if you're running a SSD)
(or Run the registry files which i've already included in this topic little below).

6. Runtime Brooker service takes up over 30% of your cpu cycles

Settings -> System -> Notifications & actions and unselecting "Show me tips about Windows.

Settings > Update and Security > windows Update > Advanced Options > Choose how updates are delivered > OFF

7. Max Perfomance Power Plan

Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Change screen saver > Change Power Settings> Select and tick high performance > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > select Change settings that are currently unavailable > Require a password on wakeup / NO > Hard Disk / Turn off hard disk after / 0 or NEVER (it will change to this after you put 0.

This one damages hdd and ssds when on due to garbage collection being screwed for ssd and the hdd excessive wear when resuming when turned off.

8. Disable Windows High Precision Event Timer (HPET):
Open command prompt and write this command:
bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

Then restart your computer.

*HPET also can be disabled by BIOS settings.
You can enable it back by: bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

Registry fixes:

*Make Sure your operating system is also up to date Win7/Win8.1/Win10

Download registry: http://uploads.infinitymu.net/reestr_byRESi.zip

Before Run these all the registry files, please back up your computer registry first as follows:
Start > regedit > right click on Computer > Export > name the file backup and place it in some folder of your choice. Here's screenshots steps for backing up your registry before applying my registry files for optimization:

Run all the registry files and restart your PC.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

RESiSTANT

Staff member
Administrator

Guide updated! New command added for smoother and faster performance especially in Windows 10! It works for my Win7 as well!

8. Disable Windows High Precision Event Timer (HPET):
Open command prompt and write this command:
bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

Then restart your computer.

*HPET also can be disabled by BIOS settings.
You can enable it back by: bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

"Turn off HPET gave me 15 fps boost "
" Disabling HPET doubled my fps. "
"My fps went from an average of ~70 to over 180. (on low settings, I have a 1050 2gb and a i5 8400.) "
For some hardware it makes difference and for some hardware it doesn't make much difference but it improves slightly!

Last edited:

RESiSTANT

Staff member
Administrator

Disable Nagle's Algorithm

Note: Reportedly, disabling Nagle's algorithm can reduce your latency in many MMOs like MU Online by almost half! Yes, it works with Windows 7/8/8.1/10

Before we begin editing the Windows Registry file, we first must confirm the current IP address of our network interface. Right-click the Start Menu button on the Windows 10 desktop and select the Windows command prompt (or PowerShell, if enabled) from the context menu. Type the command "ipconfig" without the quotes and press enter.

Note the IPv4 address, we will need it later. Close the command prompt window.

Now, type "regedit" into the Windows 10 search box on your desktop and select the registry editor application. Using the left-hand navigation window of regedit, navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

You will have to check each interface listed to find the one with the correct current DhcpIPAdress with your IP address inside the key.

Once you find the correct interface entry, you will need to create two new DWORD (32-bit) Value words. Right-click the network interface entry you found in the left-hand navigation window and select New | DWORD (32-bit) Value and give the first new key the name:

TcpAckFrequency

Repeat the selection procedure and give the second new key the name:

TCPNoDelay

As shown in the screenshot your two new keys should be displayed at the bottom of the right-hand window.

c-disable-nagle-algorithm-optimization.jpg

Now, double-click each of your new keys and change the Data value to 1 and click OK, as shown in the screenshot below.

d-disable-nagle-algorithm-optimization.jpg

When both keys are set to Data value 1, exit out of the Registry Editor and Nagle's algorithm is disabled.

To reenable Nagle's algorithm, change the Data value for each of those newly created keys back to the default of 0 (zero).

Additional tweaks:

Disable Receive Segment Coalescing State (RSC)

This is applicable to Windows 8/10, not available for earlier Windows versions.

Receive Segment Coalescing (RSC) allows the NIC to coalesce multiple TCP/IP packets that arrive within a single interrupt into a single larger packet (up to 64KB) so that the network stack has to process fewer headers, resulting in 10% to 30% reduction in I/O overhead depending on the workload, thereby improving throughput. Receive Segment Coalescing (RCS) is able to collect packets that are received during the same interrupt cycle and put them together so that they can be more efficiently delivered to the network stack. While this reduces CPU utilization and improves throughput, it can also have a negative impact on latency. That is why we recommend you disable it where latency is more important than throughput.

Possible states: enabled, disabled, default. Default state: disabled Recommended: disabled for pure gaming latency, enabled for better throughput.

To enable using netsh:
Type "netsh" into the Windows 10 search box on your desktop and right click on netsh and click run as administrator.
Type the following command:
netsh int tcp set global rsc=disabled

Press Enter and voila. You are done optimizing your internet.

Increase the hosting buffer size
The size of hosting buffer reflects the ability to host data or services in a high-latency environment. By default, the system sets the buffer size as 16384 bytes but sometimes it is not enough if the amount of memory is small. Tweaking this value by Registry Editor will help reduce the impact of lag. Here is a guide.

Step 1: Open Registry Editor window and navigate to the following path:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
Step 2: Right-click the blank space on the right panel. Move the mouse cursor over New and select DWORD (32-bit) Value option.

increase the hosting buffer size

Step 3: Name it SizReqBuf and double-click it and set its value to 17424.

set buffer size

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.